Home Made Chicken Pie
Serves 5-6 people
2 Chicken Breast
1 large Leek
2 large Potatoes
2 large Carrots
1 large Parsnips
1 large can of sweetcorn
1-2 chicken stock cube
2 cloves of garlic
For the Sauce
3 Bay leaves
Salt and Pepper
1 pinch nutmeg
1 part butter
2 parts plain flour
1 egg (whisked for glaze)
or buy ready rolled puff pastry
This recipe is one that you can add more veg that you have in the fridge into, so feel free to put more in!
NB for this dish you will need a pie dish that is at least 2-3 inches deep!
1. Peal the roots vegetables, chop all the vegetables into 1-2 inch cubes and place in a bowl to the side.
2. Chop the chicken into 1 inch cubes and place in a separate bowl.
3. Dice the onion and finely chop the garlic cloves. (Boil your kettle in prep for the stock)
4. Use a large sauce pan and heat the oil, cook the garlic and onions together until soft.
5. Add your chopped veg, stock and bay leaves to the saucepan, making sure all the vegetables are covered with the stock ( add more water if needed). leave to simmer for 20 mins.
6. Turn oven on to 180C to pre heat.
7. Add Chicken and simmer for 10 mins.
8. Take saucepan off the heat. use a colander to drain off the stock into a bowl. you can now put the filling in the pie dish. (remove the bay leaves while you can see them!)
9.The Sauce: Use a small sauce pan to melt the butter, once melted add the stock and equal levels of milk, a pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper seasoning and stir. slowly add flour using a whisk on a medium heat(preferably rubber so no to scratch your pan). You will see the sauce thickening (it may take 5 mins).
10. once the sauce has reached the desired consistency, remove it from the heat and pour onto the filling in the pie dish. you may wish to stir it in, add the peas and sweetcorn during this stirring process.
11. Place your rolled our dough on top and press a fork round the edge to seal in it, cut two small holes in the centre of the pie to allow heat to escape (about 2 cm in length). brush the egg wash over the top to make the pastry go golden.
12. Place tray on a baking tray and put in the oven for 25-35 mins (until golden brown).
13. Serve with steamed veg such as broccoli or french beans.