Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 25 mins
Summer Drizzle Cake
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g Fresh Raspberries
100g Fresh strawberries (4 extra to decorate)
50 g Fresh Cherries (de-stoned)
50g Fresh Blackberries
140g granulated sugar
1-2 tbsp citrus juice - lemon, lime or orange
175g very soft butter, plus extra for greasing
175g golden caster sugar
250g self-raising flour
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line the base and ends with a long strip of baking parchment.
2. Put the butter, caster sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer for 5 mins until pale and creamy – the mixture will be very thick.
3. De-stone and wash all the fruit and place in a bowl (minus the 4 strawberries) and remove a hand full and place to the side for later.
4. Spread one-third of the cake mix into the tin, then scatter over 1/3 of the fruit in the bowl (I like to lightly press the berries in for even distribution).
5. Carefully dot and spread another third of the cake mix on top, and scatter with the next 1/3 of fruit. Finally dot the rest of the cake mix over and gently spread with the back of a spoon and lightly press the remaining fruit in the top. Bake for 1 hr, until an inserted skewer comes out clean (do not open the oven before 50 mins of the cake will collapse).
6. Poke the cake all over with a skewer. Put remaining fruit into a bowl (minus the 4 strawberries) with the granulated sugar. Stir in 1 tbsp of the citrus juice first with a fork, mashing a little of the fruit as you go. If it’s a bit dry, add a splash more juice and spoon over the cake. Leave in the tin until the cake is cool and the topping is set and crisp.
7. gently place the 4 strawberries evening on top to finish the cake off before serving.