Prep: 5-10 mins
Southern Fried Chicken
Serves 5-6 people
4 Chicken Breast
1 pot of Golden Breadcrumbs
250g plain flour
1.5 tsp garlic granules
1.5 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp curry powder
*this goes really well with the sweet potato and butternut squash recipe side and a fresh salad.
1. Get three medium bowls
2. In the first bowl, add the flour and all the seasonings and mixed until the spices are dispersed.
3. The Second bowl crack and whisk the eggs
4. The Third bowl pour in your golden bread crumbs
5. Slice the chicken breast into long thin strips.
6. Take each strip individually cover it in the flour, then dip in the egg bowl till covered then place in the bowl of bread crumbs and use your clean hand to cover the chicken in the breadcrumbs. Once cover place on a plate and repeat the process on the rest of the strips.
7. pour oil in a pan enough to cover the chicken usually about 1 inch deep (preferably a pan that is over 2 inches deep to prevent the oil spitting).
8. heat the oil on a medium heat, to test when it is ready use one of the left over bread crumbs , place it in the oil when the bread crumb starts to sink and rise again after touching the base of the pan the oil is ready. please note the oil should not be bubbling, if it is it is too hot.
9. Place the chicken in the pan usually 3 pieces at a time depending on the size of the pan. turn regularly until golden brown (this is usually 3-4 minutes, but you can test the chicken by taking it out and cutting into a piece to see if the chicken is cooked).
10. To keep the chicken crisp place a piece of kitchen towel on the plate or bowl you are putting the cooked chicken in to absorb the excess oil.
11. Serve with salad and potato. Enjoy!